Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March - National Nutrition Month

Good afternoon bloggers...                                                                            

So, March is National Nutrition Month... who knew?? The whole month has almost past us by and I just found out that March is National Nutriton Month?? Wow, I guess knowing later is better than never knowing huh??

March is National Nutrition Month!!

So juicing fruit and vegetables... When I first started juicing I mixed every fruit and vegetable that I could get my hands on. I got my husband involved helping me juice and eventually he really enjoyed juicing and took it upon himself that he was "The Juicing Man" of our house hold. At that time I was drink 20 oz of juice every day.

My sister later inquired about my juicing every fruit and vegetable I could get my hands on and she sat me down for a long chat.

My sister explained to me that fruit was sweet and had sugar in it, natural sugar, but sugar none the less. Too much sugar overloads the body and no one needs sugar overloads in their bodies. She also told me that no one ever needs 20 oz of juice all at one time, ever. It was time for me to cut way back on the amount of juice I was drinking down to 6-8oz per day. It seemed to my sister that I was also not getting enough vegetables within the juicing so she told me to cut way back on the fruit and add more dark green leavy vegetables with lemons/and or limes with an apple.

So I did. Out went all the lucious sweet fruit and in came the darkest green leafy vegetables I could find, down to 6-8oz a day. I added carrots sometimes and tomatoes too but stuck with the dark green leafy vegetables.

Later, my sister explained to me in actuality that vegeables were to be juiced and fruit was to be blended. So I now have totally separated my vegetables with the lemons/and or limes and apple in juicing with frozen fruit, almond milk, cinnoman and ginger to make fruit smoothies.

Today, my everyday breakfast drink is a pear and ginger smoothie.

In a blender add:

3 ripe pears sliced and cored (not peeled)
2-3 large handfuls of  raw spinach or baby lettuces
1 large handful fresh mint leaves
1 tsp ground ginger or 1/2 inch fresh ginger
1/2 tsp cinnoman
6 tbsps lemon juice
2 cups water

Blend until smooth. Pour 6-8 oz in a cup and drink. You may have to adjust the consistancy with a little more water if it is too thick. Enjoy.

My afternoon snack on accassion is a banana fruit smoothie.

In a blender add:

1 banana sliced (room temp or frozen)
1 large handful berries of your choice (room temp or frozen)
2 cups Almond milk
1/2 tsp cinnoman
1 tsp ground ginger or 1/2 inch fresh ginger
1 tbsp Carob Powder (Optional)

Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour 6-8 oz into a cup and drink. I personally like to use all frozen fruit because it makes the smoothie thicker and colder. Enjoy.

Enough for now... more later.

God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment